Wednesday, April 2, 2014

In The Kitchen: PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE CORN MUFFINS


I miss Hawaii.. I mean I realllly really miss Hawaii.  Hawaii is like a foodie mecca all of the most amazing Asian and European cultures met, fell in love and had the most amazing food baby ever.

One of them being Portuguese Sausage. IT.SO.GOOD. Smokey, spicy, savory and sweet all at the same time.

I always keep a few Portuguese Sausages in the fridge/freezer because a few slices w/ some eggs and rice makes an amazing breakfast/lunch/snack/whatever and reminds me of home!!

A little while ago a friend posted on her FB (Hi JUDY! :) that she made Jiffy corn muffins w/ hot dogs and I swear my eyeballs nearly popped out of my head. SO GENIUS!

We didn't have hot dogs but I like I said always.have.Portuguese.sausage. lol!

Ingredients:

Cooking Spray
1/2 Cup Broccoli (Diced)
1/2 lb. Sausage
1 Egg
1/2 Can Creamed Corn
1/2 Can Corn (Drained)
1 Box Jiffy Corn Mix (If you want to use the whole can of creamed corn & corn you can just double up on your Corn Mix)
3 Tbsp Milk (I used Broccoli which adds a lot of moisture if you want to omit the Broccoli I would suggest upping your milk 2 more Tbsp.)


I like to start off by boiling my sausage first to make sure it's cooked through and through.

Pre-Heat oven to 400 Degrees F.


Combine your Jiffy corn mix, Milk, Corn, Egg


And Creamed Corn (the secret to SUPER MOIST Corn Bread!)


Now you obviously don't have to put Broccoli in your corn bread I know it's a bit nontraditional but if you've been following along you've probably noticed I lost a bit of weight since I started blogging.. and honestly I wholeheartedly attribute it to Broccoli..

Ultimately I add it to everything I eat because well take for instance this cornbread mix.  This is definitely not health food.  But if you add in the broccoli you're going to feel fuller quicker just because it has so much fiber and you're going to end up eating less calories/fat/carbs/starch ect because the Broccoli is taking up space.


Combine all of your ingredients!


Generously spray your muffin tins with your cooking spray and add a heaping spoonful of the corn mixture.


Fill to about the 1/2 way mark.


By now the water should have boiled away from the pan and you can fry the sausages a bit.


Take your sausages off the pan and dice into small pieces.


Distribute the diced sausage evenly in your corn mixture.


Add another spoonful on top of the sausage so that it's about 2/3's full.

 Bake for 20 min.


Take a spoon and run it around the edges and they should pop right out.


Eat along side some chili! 

To be extra decadent I added a dollop of butter and a drizzle of honey!  

But honestly they're super delicious without the extra toppings!

Enjoy! :)

19 comments:

  1. ah this is great recipe! to be honest i never tried make corn muffins! This looking so delis.. Agreed about adding broccoli to every dish! it does filling you more and faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'll be trying it for our next meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ur dishes are so tempting wish u cud have invited me over :D have a lovely day xoxo
    My latest post: http://natashabhatt.blogspot.in/2014/04/miss-claire-kiss-proof-lipgloss-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to try!

    http://ladyparisienne.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look so yummy!!! At home my mom often make asian food, I never try make corn muffin before, it look very good and I'd love to give it a try :) Thank you for sharing with us :)

    http://beautyboxchic.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lisa: it has been a long time. I have been (quietly) enjoying the new feature you add to your blog post about home cooked meals and makeup tutorials (on top of other great topics - sorry for not leaving comment). You look GREAT and vibrant girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! My hubby is from hawaii..portugese sausage is AMAZING!! I have to try this recipe out!

    Cynthia
    sosoobsessed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing recipe ;) I must try it ;)

    I follow you beautiful blog. I hope you will follow me back and I will wait for you in my blog www.gabusiek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great recipe! Who knew to add portuguese sausage (or hot dogs) to corn bread muffins! Genius!!


    xo - Sheila
    www.sheislovelyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg this looks amazing! i so need to make this! :D

    katslovefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing (and the sweet note in the first picture is so cute)

    www.writingmonique.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post :)

    http://alex-faashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love love that you're sharing your cooking adventures! ;)
    I fill like making them now.... then again I only have chorizo at home...... hmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice !
    Have a lovely weekend sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yummy yummy yummy! I really love all your cooking posts! The recipe you feature always do not look difficult to make at all for such beautiful results! Continue feeding our eyes with such posts.

    ReplyDelete